You are currently viewing 02- Urgent Info – Oregon Winter Storm, Warming Shelters and Power Outage Resources
Thermometer on snow shows low temperatures - zero. Low temperatures in degrees Celsius and fahrenheit. Cold winter weather - zero celsius thirty two farenheit. (Thermometer on snow shows low temperatures - zero. Low temperatures in degrees Celsius and

02- Urgent Info – Oregon Winter Storm, Warming Shelters and Power Outage Resources


2021-2022 Oregon Winter Storm, Warming Shelters and Power Outage Resources

On December 23rd, 2021, Governor Kate Brown issued a statement about the state of emergency in response to anticipated winter storms and potential power outages.  Governor Brown asked people to prepare, get ready, and contact 211 info for assistance and to avoid calling 911 except for life safety emergencies.

“If you or your loved ones are among the thousands who have been impacted, please know that crews are working as fast as they can to restore power. Please do not call 911 unless it is for a life-safety emergency. Use 211 or your local non-emergency line for assistance or information about services in your area.

“Oregonians in impacted communities should remain home as much as possible, as road conditions remain poor. Check on your neighbors and loved ones when you can do so safely. Please help our first responders by staying home when you can.”

The following is a list of emergency resources and information included but not limited to those provided in the Governor Browns Emergency Statement.

Sign up for Public Alerts

Please use 911 for life-safety emergencies only; instead call 211, sign up for Public Alerts for updates, or call non-emergency lines for assistance:

  • Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office: 503-655-8211
  • Hood River Sheriff’s Office: 541-386-2711
  • Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office: 503-823-3333
  • Washington County Sheriff’s Office: 503-629-0111
  • Marion County Sheriff’s Office: 503-588-5032
  • Oregon State Police: 800-442-0776

Report Power Outages

Please also do not call 911 to report downed power lines and outages. Please call your electric company or cooperative instead:

  • PGE: 800-544-1795
  • Pacific Power: 1-877-508-5088
  • Hood River Electric: 541-354-1233
  • Salem Electric: 503-362-3601
  • West Oregon Electric: 503-429-3021


Warming Shelter Resources

Multnomah, Washington and Clackamas Counties

Severe weather shelters and warming spaces are available in Multnomah County for Oregonians in need.

In Washington County, call 211 or Community Connect at 503-640-3263.

Information on Clackamas County warming centers is available here.


211 info –  Winter & Severe Weather & Warming Shelters

To find winter or severe weather or warming shelters in your community, you can CALL 211, visit the 211info Warming Shelters page, use our online database or mobile app by searching keywords:

Extreme Weather Shelters

Extreme cold warming centers (for day spaces)

Shelters and Warming Centers will also be listed here, by county, based on the information shared with 211info by the shelter providers. Opening hours are based on specific counties’ and individual agencies’ criteria.

For more information please contact the 211 resource team:

HOURS Monday-Friday 8am-6pm

Emergency Food Assistance

SNAP Replacement Benefits

(Assistance for households who had food spoil due to power outages.)

Current SNAP recipients who have lost food purchased with SNAP benefits due to storms, flooding, power outages, fires or other misfortunes may be eligible to have their SNAP benefits replaced.

To be eligible, for replacement benefits, households must:

  • Be current SNAP recipients
  • Have experienced other household misfortunes that has caused the loss of food

SNAP recipients must request replacement benefits within 10 (ten) calendar days of experiencing food loss. Once approved, replacement benefits are issued to current recipients using their existing EBT card. To request replacement benefits, current SNAP recipients can call their local branch office.

Replacement SNAP Benefits Form: Replacement benefits form with cover page

Oregonians that do not currently receive SNAP benefits can ap​ply online at or call their local office.

Oregon Food Bank

Food is available to all who need it. You may be eligible for food assistance programs like SNAP (sometimes called food stamps) or school meal programs for your kids. And our 1,400+ pantries and food assistance sites remain open across Oregon and Southwest Washington — with increased cleaning and changes in service to help minimize contact among groups of people. (Hours and availability are updated daily. Please call ahead before visiting a partner agency.)

To find a food pantry in your area use the Food Finder Application to identify locations near you.

Oregon Food Bank Headquarters – Portland
7900 NE 33rd Drive
Portland, OR 97211

Phone: 503-282-0555 or 1-800-777-7427

Fax: 503-282-0922

Food Safety for Power Outages

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Refrigerated or frozen foods may not be safe to eat after the loss of power. Find out what you can do to keep food safe during a power outage, and when you need to throw away food that could make you sick

Disaster Distress And Counseling Services
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides 24/7, 365-day-a-year crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters.

The Disaster Distress Helpline, 1-800-985-5990, is a 24/7, 365-day-a-year, national hotline dedicated to providing immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster. This toll-free, multilingual, and confidential crisis support service is available to all residents in the United States and its territories. Stress, anxiety, and other depression-like symptoms are common reactions after a disaster. Call or text 1-800-985-5990 to connect with a trained crisis counselor.

Contact SAMHSA
877-SAMHSA-7 (726-4727)
TTY: 800-487-4889

Preparing for Winter Storms

Oregon Health Authority

This link provides information on preparing for and coping with winter storms.

Contact Us
Phone: 971-673-1315
FAX: 971-673-1309
TTY: 711

Safe Drug Use After a Natural Disaster

United States Food and Drug Administration

Information on the use of medicines affected by fire, flooding, unsafe water, or power outages

Click on this like for information on Drug storage after a natural disaster.   Use This Link

Contact the FDA