Virtual Pet Loss Support Groups
These listings are provided for information only; they are not recommendations or endorsements.
Due to the COVID pandemic, many pet loss support groups have switched to virtual meetings via Zoom, Google, etc. This has made it possible for many groups to open their meetings to grieving pet owners anywhere in the world. Below, we list a number of support groups in the US that now offer their virtual meetings to anyone, anywhere.
While this list is organized by state for convenience, again, keep in mind that you do not need to be a resident of that state to attend. However, do keep in mind that different states involve different time zones; be sure to check not only the time but the zone of the meeting you wish to attend.
AZ: Hospice of the Valley’s Pet Loss Support Group meets on the first Saturday of every month from 9-11 a.m. Groups are virtual and open to anyone, anywhere, grieving the loss of a beloved companion animal. Please call 602-636-5390 for information and to obtain the link. email@example.com, https://hov.org/our-care/grief-support/grief-support-groups/
CA: The Berkeley Humane Pet Loss Support Group now meets VIRTUALLY on the SECOND WEDNESDAY of each month, 7-8:30 pm. Send an email to Jill Goodfriend expressing an interest in attending the group. Jill will acknowledge your message and send you the Zoom link by 5 pm on the day of the meeting. Confidentiality requested for all shares. There is no fee; however, donations to the Berkeley Humane are most appreciated (2700 Ninth St, Berkeley, CA 94710). For questions, or to set up a complimentary consultation, contact Jill Goodfriend, RN, LCSW, at Jill.firstname.lastname@example.org. or (510) 393-1359. hhttps://berkeleyhumane.org/community-resources/, http://jillgoodfriend.com/Jill_Goodfriend/Home.html.
CA: Cindy Buck, Hayward, CA 94541, (650) 302-6012, https://www.facebook.com/BelieveAnimalReiki. We meet virtually on the 2nd Tuesday of the month from 7 – 8pm PT. Please email email@example.com for the call-in information.
CA: Peninsula Humane Society Pet Loss Support Group, 1450 Rollins Road, Burlingame CA. Led by a professional counselor, our group meets virtually the second Thursday of each month, from 8-9:30 pm. Free. For more information, please contact Brian Probst at 650/340-7022, ext. 328, firstname.lastname@example.org, https://phs-spca.org/grief/.
CO: Animal Assisted Therapy Programs of Colorado (AATPC) – Virtual Pet Loss Support Group, Fridays 12-1 MST. Free and virtual via Zoom. Open enrollment, join any time! Registration required on AATPC’s website. Open to anyone looking for support around the loss of an animal companion OR the anticipation of loss of an animal companion. All animal types welcome. Open to anyone in the world! Facilitated by Erin Peterson, licensed professional therapist. https://www.animalassistedtherapyprograms.org/animal-assisted-therapy-programs/therapy-groups/54-therapy-programs/380-virtual-pet-loss-support-group.
CO: Guardian Pet Aquamation. This is a call-in group and meets the second Thursday of every month from 6:30-8pm MST. Please call 1-425-436-6350. When prompted enter access code 880072. Facilitator: Leigh Ann Gerk, MA, LPC, (970) 966-4585, email@example.com, https://vetmedbiosci.colostate.edu/argus/pet-loss-support/
CO: “When You Lose a Pet” Pet Loss Support Group, The Human-Animal Bond Trust, 191 Yuma Street, Denver, CO 80223, (303) 539-7646, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.humananimalbondtrust.org/pet-loss-support-group.html. Meets via Zoom every Thursday from 6:30-8 p.m. MST.
FL: Marty Tousley, RN, MS, FT, Grief Healing, Sarasota, FL, https://www.griefhealingblog.com/p/as-both-bereaved-parent-and-bereaved.html, https://www.griefhealingdiscussiongroups.com/forum/11-loss-of-a-pet/. Online support/discussion group available 24/7.
IL: Virtual Meeting sponsored by Gateway. We meet at 6:30 pm the third Monday of each month; free of charge to attendees. Facilitator: Joy Davy, MS, LCPC. For information, email email@example.com.
IL: Rev. Russell Elleven, DMin. This FREE pet loss support group meets the first Wednesday of every month at 8:00 pm (Eastern) via Zoom. Please visit the website and contact Russell for Zoom Link and Passcode.Rev. Russell Elleven, DMin is an ordained Unitarian Universalist minister who celebrates all faith traditions and those with no faith tradition at all. Everyone who is suffering from the loss of an animal companion is welcomed and offered nonjudgmental support through the FREE group or one-on-one (fee based) meetings. You need not suffer this loss alone. http://www.AnimalChaplain.net.
MA: Darin Humane Society, 171 Union Street, Springfield, MA, (413) 781-4000, Kenddv@gmail.com. This group, led by Ken Dolan-DelVecchio, LMFT, LCSW is sponsored by Dakin Humane Society. It is held once a month. It is a Zoom group open to anyone in the country or world and starts at 6PM EST running for one and one-half hours. The days can change so please go to https://www.dakinhumane.org/petloss.html to RSVP.
MA: Humane Hearts, West Newbury, MA 01985, 978.572.0698, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://humanehearts.com. Individual, Family, and Group Support available for those who have experienced the loss of a pet or those who are anticipating a loss. See website for details as to where and when we meet. Sessions led by life-long animal advocate and humane educator Marla Andrews, M.Ed., Humane Education and Animal Welfare, Certified Grief Support Specialist, and Pet Chaplain.
MI: Micky Golden Moore, Ph.D., MSHP, Beyond The Paw Print Pet Loss Support Group. Meets the 2nd Monday of every month. For more information about these VIRTUAL meetings and how to join, please email email@example.com, or leave a message at 248.701.2345. Visit the Beyond the Paw Print website to learn more about Dr. Golden Moore, the meetings, the BTPP Facebook group, and much more, at https://beyondthepawprint.com/.
NJ: Sandra Grossman, Ph.D., PetLoss Partners. The loss of a beloved pet is so very difficult. It’s important to know you don’t have to go through this alone. Get the support you deserve surrounded by those who understand and are on the path towards recovery. Virtual groups are held twice a week, are available to anyone anywhere, and are RSVP only. The fee for virtual groups is $15. Call or email to RSVP. We are here to support you. 818-421-1516, firstname.lastname@example.org, https://petlosspartners.org/pet-loss-services/
OH: GAP (Grief About Pets) now offers two FREE pet loss groups. One is sponsored by Eternal Paws in Norton, Ohio, and offered on-site there on the second Wednesday of every month at 6:30 p.m. The other is sponsored by Faithful Companion and offered on the fourth Wed. of every month online using Google Meet at 6:30 p.m. If we have over ten pet parents register, we can offer another at 4:30 p.m. Brenda Brown, MA, Ft, is the facilitator of all the groups. Register by emailing email@example.com or calling 330-415-8879. https://griefaboutpets.com.
OH: Dorothy Hall, MS, RN, Pet Loss Support Group, Columbus, OH 43229, (614) 895-3416, firstname.lastname@example.org. Meetings held on Zoom; contact Dorothy for details.
OR: Debrah Lee, LCSW, DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital, 1945 NW Petty Grove, Portland, OR 97209, (503) 228-7281, email@example.com. Virtual and in-person meetings are offered; see website for schedule and to register to attend. https://www.dovelewis.org/pet-owners/pet-loss-support.
TX: PAWs Shelter of Central Texas, 2965 Farm to Market 165, Dripping Springs, TX 78620, firstname.lastname@example.org, https://heartoftexaspetlossandgriefsupport.com/. Group meets virtually on the Second Sunday of each month via Zoom, and is free of charge. Go through the website to contact facilitator for details, readings and the Zoom link. Group is for people ready to work in the group format, and is not appropriate for those needing individual counseling.
VA: FetchACure.org – Meets via Zoom on the first Tuesday of the month from 5:30-6:30 pm. Meetings are led by Dr. Leslie Greenberg, an experienced psychologist and member of the Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement. Families are invited to attend our group sessions to help work through the pain of losing a pet. All family members, including children, are invited to attend this complementary Pet Loss Support Group. Please RSVP here or by emailing email@example.com, https://fetchacure.org/resource-library/pet-loss-support-group/
VA: Holli Shan, Compassionate Animal Communication, LLC, (703) 447-5374, firstname.lastname@example.org, https://compassionspeaks.com. We are now offering a virtual online pet loss grief support group. This group will meet on the last Wednesday of each month from 6:00PM to 7:00 PM Eastern Time. This is a good opportunity for people who are grieving and are not quite ready for a private session or program. While there is no set fee to attend, this group is “pay what you will” (suggested amount is $15). Register at https://info.compassionspeaks.com/register.
WA: Pet Loss Support Group, Seattle Animal Shelter – 2061 15th Avenue West, Seattle WA, 98119, 206-386-PETS, http://www.seattle.gov/animal-shelter/resources/pet-loss-support-group. The loss of a pet can be very difficult. Our volunteers are here to help. The Pet Loss Support Group meets by phone/Webex every Thursday from 5:30-6:45 p.m. For the schedule and details on how to join the virtual meeting, please email email@example.com
WI: Linda Colletti, Pet Loss Resource Center. Offers two virtual support groups: The first Saturday of every month 9:30-11:00 CST and the third Thursday 6Pm-7:30pm CST. All are welcome. If any one has questions, contact me at PLRCMadison@gmail.com, https://www.petlossresourcecenter.org/.
CANADA – AB: Caroline Tarkowski, Strathmore, AB T1P 1S7, (403) 629-5191, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.instilledchangecounselling.com. We offer virtual individual and group counselling to anyone who has experienced pet loss.
- Animals in Our Hearts
- Offers links, articles, an audio-book, tips on helping a friend or loved one cope with loss, and a variety of other animal-related resources.
- Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement
- An association of pet loss counselors and professionals. The site offers links, articles, a bookstore, and directories of counselors and pet loss support groups.
- Argus Institute for Families and Veterinary Medicine
- This site provides a number of excellent articles on pet loss, plus additional resources for more help.
- The Guide to Pet Bereavement: What to Expect After the Loss of a Loved One
- An excellent discussion of how surviving pets react to the loss of a pet companion, and ways that you can help them through.
- AVMA Guidelines for Pet Loss Support Services
- Useful information for anyone interested in setting up a pet loss support group.
- Chance’s Spot
- Lots of useful stuff here, including a lot of resources for children.
- Coping with the Loss of a Pet
- An article covering grieving, the five stages of mourning, how to explain pet loss to a child, and reasons for euthanasia.
- Dog Party: Diary of the Best Last Day
- I don’t usually post links to personal tributes, but this is a wonderful, moving example of how to plan a “parting day” and create a farewell event for one’s pet and family.
- A site where you can register a missing pet, along with useful tips for finding a lost pet.
- Grief Healing
- An excellent resource from pet loss counselor Marty Tousley. It offers an extensive collection of Marty’s articles and columns on grief, plus other resources.
- Healing and Inspirational Poetry
- Dozens of lovely poems and “Rainbow Bridge Arrival Stories.”
- Hoofbeats in Heaven
- A site dedicated to resources on “horse loss support,” including an e-mail support group.
- Land of Pure Gold: Leaving Pawprints on Our Hearts
- Loads of tips and resources from a site dedicated to golden retrievers.
- Lightning Strike Pet-Loss Support Page
- One of the oldest pet-loss sites on the web, with an eclectic selection of resources and links. Now offers pet loss support blogs!
- Nikki Hospice Foundation for Pets
- The primary site for information on pet hospice care.
- Parmenter Foundation Pet Loss Resources
- Offers a series of videos on coping with pet loss.
- Articles, a weekly blog, and a place to add your photo tribute for weekly postings.
- Pet Loss Matters
- This is a fabulous site with lots of resources. It offers free tributes, a means of keeping a pet loss or remembrance diary, and loads of quotes on pets and pet loss.
- The ‘Rainbow Bridge’ Has Comforted Millions of Pet Parents. Who Wrote it?
- Lovely article on the origin of the Rainbow Bridge story, which just about any grieving pet owner has surely seen.
- UK Counselling Directory: Bereavement
- Though not specifically focused on pet loss, this directory would be a good place to start a search for a UK bereavement counsellor.
- Understanding Depression
- A general information site on depression.
- What to Do When a Family Pet Dies: Teaching Kids About Grief
- Excellent guide to the various steps one can take to help children cope with the loss of a pet.
PETS IN HEAVEN:
- All Creatures Do Go to Heaven… Especially Pets
- The presentation on this site can be a bit off-putting, but the verses and translation details are very interesting and worth exploring.
- Creatures in Heaven
- A publisher of books, DVDs and music on the issue of whether pets go to heaven.
- Do Animals Have Souls?
- This is not a Christian site per se, but has some interesting comparisons of religious views on the issue, as well as a discussion of pets on the astral plane.
- A number of loss-related resources, plus health tips and other info, and a book and articles dealing with the “pets in heaven” issue.
- For the Love of Animals
- A variety of articles discussing the salvation of animals, including a sermon by John Wesley!
BURIAL, CREMATION & EUTHANASIA:
- In-Home Pet Euthanasia Directory
- A state-by-state directory to veterinarians who provide in-home euthanasia, house-calls, hospice services and more.
- Green Pet Burial Society
- Information and advocacy regarding natural burials within pet cemeteries for those who prefer burial to cremation, and natural burial to underground entombment. They also address pet burials in family plots of (human) cemeteries.
- Anthony Eddy’s Wildlife Studio – Pet Animal Preservation
- Information on freeze-drying pets.
- Perpetual Pet
- Information on freeze-drying pets.
VIRTUAL TRIBUTE/MEMORIAL SITES:
- Angel Cats
- Cat memorial site in the UK. (Lots of popups, unfortunately.)
- Offers a free online memorial listing for three months, and charges a small fee for longer (or large) listings. All profits go to humane associations.
- In Memory of Pets
- Light a Candle
- An interesting site where you can light a “virtual candle” in memory of your pet.
- Pet Heaven
- Free online pet memorial tribute pages and a chat function.
- Pet Loss Matters
- Washington State University Pet Memorial Program
- By donating to the WSU pet memorial program, you can post a tribute or you can obtain access for a friend or loved one to post a tribute to their pet.
PET LOSS CONDOLENCE CARDS:
- 1-2-3 Greetings: Electronic Pet Loss Condolence Cards
- Free electronic pet loss condolence cards.
- Pet Condolence Messages
- This helpful site offers suggestions of messages to include in a pet loss bereavement card, and pet loss-related quotes.
- How to Make a DIY Pet Urn
- Interesting article on how to craft your own wooden pet urn or keepsake box.
Here are links to some of our articles that have been translated into other languages:
- Soutien lors de la perte de nos petit compagnons
- French pet loss site; includes French translation of “Ten Tips on the Loss of Your Pet.”
- Coping with Sorrow on the Loss of Your Pet is also available in Japanese.
- NOTE: If you would like to post a translation of materials on this site, please contact Moira Allen.